newsletter guestlists tickets

WOLF CIRCUS: JEWELRY FOR THE BOLD

Meet Fiona Morrison – entrepreneurial businesswomen, creative genius, and creator of Wolf Circus Jewelry, a jewelry line for the bold, beautiful, brainy and badass.

FIONAMORRISON_SHARKTOOTH6_large

A business student at the University of Victoria, Morrison was inspired to start her jewelry line when she noticed the lack of cool and edgy, yet affordable jewelry offered in her hometown of Victoria, BC. After taking her credit card to the Internet and buying supplies, she began teaching herself through YouTube videos. Upon moving to Vancouver, she eventually took a class at the Vancouver Community College where she learned to work with metals.

With Victoria being a smaller town, it was easier to spread the word about the up and coming brand and Morrison was able to push her line into the market. Attending university was helpful as well as she gained a lot of support from friends, and word spread quickly of the young entrepreneur and her edgy jewelry. She also worked at a boutique at the time that quickly became her first customer.

page3-RGBY_1024x1024

Morrison’s biggest challenge faced while starting the line was time management. With being in school at the time and having a job, it was difficult to juggle everything as starting her business required full time dedication. She also found that going from having no expectations for the line to suddenly having a lot as the business grew was a struggle to adjust to. Although mainly being by herself, Morrison had a good friend, Lauren, who helped with the production while she finished her time in school.

While the young entrepreneur had success with friends and local boutiques, reaching out to other stores proved to be more of a challenge. For every hundred emails sent, one would reply and the majority of the remaining would never even be opened. However, Morrison continued to push, designing incredible art and marketing her brand. Wolf Circus can now be found in stores across Canada and they continue to grow with reps now entering the American market.

page2-RGBY_copy_1024x1024

Wolf Circus Jewelry consists of two lines: the Wolf Circus line which caters more towards the cool edgy girl with inspiration drawn mainly from street style in Gastown, “I look at how people wear their jewelry and what they’re wearing all together.” Where as Creatures of Desire is a more cool and sophisticated line inspired by architecture and natural curves in the world. Morrison’s pieces are also heavily influenced by the street style in Stockholm, where she lived for a semester during her studies at UVIC.

These days, 90 percent of Morrison’s work consists of replying to emails, meeting with suppliers, running errands, reaching out to current customers and new stores, working on her website, and much more. The remaining 10 percent is actually making the jewelry. She currently has a small team who helps with the production and marketing of Wolf Circus.

We asked the young entrepreneur what advice she would give to others who have hopes of starting their own business, “You just have to do it” she boldly stated, “You don’t necessarily have to be passionate about what you’re creating, but you do have to be passionate about what you’re job is going to be.” Love business, love marketing, and love working with people. If there isn’t a job out there for you, create one. When you’re young, you don’t really have a lot to lose or risk.

10429806_752529764820161_1959963383447428897_n

Having a mentor can be of help to assist with operational things such as registering your business or ways to help market your brand, but in the end, majority of the process is learning along the way. Being knowledgeable of or learning about business will also help immensely as marketing your brand is what will ultimately make or break your business. Lastly, reach out to people in your industry and make connections, “everyone should be out there to help each other”.

With such talent and drive behind Wolf Circus Jewelry, there’s no doubt Morrison’s brand will continue to grow and have great success. Shop Wolf Circus and Creatures of Desire now at www.wolfcircus.com.

1503525_821855284554275_3298997834793528630_n

Studio Sale:

Saturday March 14th – 10am to 5pm

303 – 237 Keefer St. Vancouver

– Emily Danielisz

  Related news

Talking Style With Board of Trade

Fashion

Talking Style...

Uncensored: Amaly Narong of TODAY YOU ARE SPECIAL

Fashion

Uncensored: A...

GASTOWN SPOTLIGHT: ONE OF A FEW

Fashion

GASTOWN SPOTL...

RECAP: KNOWSHOW 2015

Fashion

RECAP: KNOWSH...

GET 2 KNOW CHINATOWN MALL

Fashion

GET 2 KNOW CH...